Sunday, October 5, 2008

for pumpkin season

I have just made a wonderful pumpkin cake, and since we are coming up to the time for cheap, abundant pumpkins, I want to share it. It's a great one for kids, not because of the pumpkin, but because it's quite low in fat and sugar, yet is sweet and moist. Thank-you must go to Gabriel Gate.

Grease a 20-22cm loaf tin and set the oven to 180c.

Steam 200g pumpkin to soft and allow to cool.

Using a food processor or beater, cream 60g butter, 1/4c caster sugar and the zest of an orange to light an fluffy.
Add two eggs then mashed pumpkin and 1/4c milk.
Add 2c wholemeal self-raising flour, 1/4c each of chopped almonds and walnuts (the finer the better, you end up with a cake the texture of flourless orange cake, quite dense) and 1/2 c chopped dates. I also added 1/2t cinnamon and 1t vanilla.

Pour into tin and bake for 1 hour. Allow to cool for 10 mins before unmoulding onto a cake rack.
Enjoy.

For those new to my recipes, 'c' means cup, 't' means teaspoon.

My lack of photos is annoying me, the problem being that our computer is too full to load on anymore. I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Then, if there's any left, you can see this golden, lovely cake and desire to cook it yourself!

No comments: