Saturday, May 3, 2008

I'm not joking about my second trimester energy levels. They are just soaring at the moment. And I can think again. I think about how I feel and what I want to do and eat, whereas before now, I was a zombie. I couldn't decide toast or tea, let alone make it!

I made myself some muesli, as I crave high energy, high nutrient, slow release food. I make it without all the awful, shriveled, inappropriate fruit they put in. Mango and paw-paw, I mean, really? And no fluffy, puffed bits, or oatbran noodles either. Old school- oats, wheatgerm, toasted with honey and all the good nuts and seeds. A few natural sultanas and a packet of dried blueberries I found in the back of the pantry. It's a comparably cheap but luxurious breakfast. Also there's a secret twist in the recipe, learnt from a lovely B'n'B lady in Byron Bay many years ago. I'd love to tell you, but I won't. Unless you ask.

Recently I received a gift of some gorgeous Meredith blue cheese, purchased before the giver knew I was pregnant. Not being one willing to miss out, today I decided to make it into cheesy biscuits, so everyone could enjoy it, though I will of course eat the lions share. They are flaky and melting, with a hint of mustard and freshly ground pepper. Divine.


The final highlight of another high energy day- I took baby G to the pool for the first time. What a ball we had! First we checked out the pelicans at the pier, fed our old bread to the swarming seagulls and then headed in to splash away a bit of time. Not long though, swimming totally knocks him out, and he was all ready for a morning sleep by the time we got dressed and walked back to the car. Which was all part of my cunning plan. Except that I was all tuckered out too! I going to make this a regular weekly date for us. He swims for free and I pay less than $5. Another item to factor into the budget, but happily.

Just a quick reminder- the last episode of Doc Martin tomorrow night. I'm going to curl up on the couch, barrel of cheesy bikkies and cold glass of Maggie Beer's Desert Pearl wine (non-alcoholic, another thoughtful gift, purchased when the giver did know I was pregnant!) and giggle and sob for an hour. Have a lovely weekend.

No comments: