Thursday, May 29, 2008

mini-break

I've had a lovely week off work, and realised how good it is to be at home all the time. It's a big step for me, who rushed back into a job when G was just five months. Not because we needed the cash, but because I'd always worked before and was lost as to what I was supposed to be doing. But it's easy to see now. I should be at the park, feeding ducks, going to the pool, putting bread out for the birdies (see left. I know- bend your knees, pregnant lady!), checking for doggies over the back fence, taking adventurous walks, climbing through tunnels, sewing, knitting, sorting out piles of baby junk, preparing good lunches and dinners for my starving boys and taking time to look after my own health and well being.

I was also amazed at how quickly we got into a rhythm and the effect it had on G, who adjusted his pattern to one big sleep in the middle of the day. He also passed another milestone, mastering climbing (see left).

The week allowed me to see where I fit into this picture and how life is when I'm there. I know I miss things, working the few hours that I do, but it was much more than that. It was having enough energy to get through the whole day. Feeling on top of the chores and our meals and the washing pile, and still wanting to hit the park or the playground without thinking 'I can't be bothered with this today,'. That's how G (and I) benefit from me being home.

I'm on the countdown to the end of working....Just as my boss needs me to ramp up and take on more work! It's lucky for him we have grand plans for the new house. Currently I have a large 'carpet monkey' on my back and am grabbing every extra hour I can (and calculating the broadloom metres as the clock ticks past each hour.)

No comments: