Saturday, February 2, 2008

the brown robe

After the excesses of Christmas, and with such a strict New Year savings regime to adapt to, it would be nice to get a break from gift buying, even for a month. Having thought all December about the perfect gifts, to do it again as soon as January is not fair. But no, those birthdays just keep on coming, and February, and March.....

I do have a gift budget, which has been cut back, but it's not tightass. I like to be able to find the right thing for the right person. In my mind. In the real world I hate shopping. I'll use the internet where I can (not cheap, as postage usually interferes with the bargain) and gift cards or vouchers if there's nothing the loved one really wants. On the new budget, I'm trying to see how crafty I can get and save on gifts.

Before you hear this story, I must mention that I sew. Not well, but competently enough to make basic things and repair the baker's workpants. Others in my age group think this is quaint and odd, and I don't mind. In the household I was raised in it is completely normal to sew, knit, do needlepoint, cook and garden. What else would you do with your time?

I decided to make my sister a dressing gown for her birthday. A day-spa inspired, rich chocolate brown linen wrap. Light and airy, natural and flattering. I pictured her with her coffee (which she doesn't drink), crusty baguette and The Age, breakfasting alfresco Saturday morning on the sunny deck of her shared house. Maybe I'm daydreaming about what I'd like to be doing....

It was no issue to make it. I had the material already. As a sew-er I am afflicted, so when I go to a material shop I buy reams of material for projects I've no time to make. Sew-ers like me have drawers stuffed with bolts of cloth waiting to be sewn. From years ago. The brown linen was such a piece. An easy, breezy pair of pants for summer holidays two years ago, that never got made. Perfect.

I snaffled the pattern from my Mum, along with some other material from her drawer that caught my eye (it's a compulsive affliction) and my sister's budget gift was underway. Hopefully it would be easy, since the earliest opportunity I had to make it was the evening before her birthday. No time to cop out and go shopping. Budget intact.

It came together beautifully. Linen is a great material to sew with and the pattern was a breeze. I was guessing at the sizing, but I figured if it fit me it would fit her. She's smaller than me but it's a robe. Fine tailoring is not the issue. Just to make sure, I slipped it on the check the fit.

I gasped. It did fit beautifully, a triumph. But sewn up as a luxurious day-spa wrap, my gorgeous brown linen looked like a Benedictine monks habit. Truly. Like an extra from the DaVinci Code. A bit too Return of the Jedi. Could I get away with it? Would she notice? It was still sumptious, luxurious and hand made. Just a touch more conservative than I anticipated.

I thought through my options. It's 11pm, at this point, the day before her birthday. No shops, no idea of what she wants if I do go, and every chance of a budget-breaking panic spend if I manage to get to the shops before our lunch. Check the robe again. She won't be leaving the house in it. It is light and summery, a lightly crushed look making it so lived in and comfy looking. Hmmm, will she notice?

I folded it in tissue, like something I'd bought at an expensive shop. I wrapped it in new gift paper, not scraps from the recycled wrapping box. I slipped it into a brown gift bag, to complete the spa style theme. Raffia and all.

I confessed the problem of my gift to Mum. She is ever forgiving and would never dream of criticising something made with love. She said it would be ok. At lunch, as my sister opened it, we both held our breath. But bless her, if her eyes didn't light up and she's exclaimed "Oh, great. I know, I need a gown. My housemate has about three....(I stopped listening at this point, since I was so relieved she liked it).

So, one budget gift, happily received. I did shop for my other sister, her twin- a pair of cork Masseur sandals (yes, they still make them, yes, they're still daggy) which she loved and I bought on sale- 50% off! So the two January birthdays are done.

I am in heavy planning and catalogue scouring for the February birthdays. The Februarians are savvy shoppers and home made will not fly with them. I'm also searching ebay already for the March and April birthdays.

Happy Birthday A & S!

4 comments:

amt said...

hey, after advocating giving up on giving gifts, I like the sound of that robe. I can imagine it in a fabulous deep red hint, hint

the baker's wife said...

I'd love to make you one, but I've no such material to hand at present...I'll go scavenge around our Mum's drawers. You never know what they have.

Happy Birthday to you, too!

amt said...

actually I just received your gift in the mail, naughty girl going out and buying gifts with your five cent pieces! that wee jar of strawberry jam is heavenly and it will last forever because I'm eating it by dipping my little finger in it. a little bit of heaven goes a long way! thanks! as for the robe, I'll pay for it and it will be the start of your online robe cottage industry!

amt said...

ok nigel's giving you the thai fisherman pants challenge: he's prepared to buy home made fishermans pants from you for $30 if you can make a profit and only on the condition that it does not involve enslaving your mother.