Tuesday, February 12, 2008

the golden gorilla


In the early days of my wee boy's life, I was a bit housebound. I think it was the shock of it all. We also had to adjust to one income, rapidly. But shopping was so hard. I used the online delivery supermarkets, for the convenience, and the local shops for meat, fruit and veg. We did ok. We weren't saving though.

Then a (dear, true) friend recommended the Golden Gorillas. They are a fresh fruit and vegetable delivery service that comes weekly or fortnightly and brings fresh fruit and veg. A big mystery box of goodies delivered to your door for $35.

Now, I know that every time I go the the green grocers it costs me $30 at least, and that's more than one visit a week. So already, I'm in the green. But then the delivery actually came. It was about three times more than I would buy. Amazing. And fairly consistent quality, which is important to me. You don't get to choose, but you can say what you don't want. It's a lovely challenge for a house-bound chef. Surprise dinner.

As the first week rolled past I became aware that we had a bit of stuff left. I made soup, stew, a roast and had people to dinner to use up what we had. Great. Same at the end of the next week. So I stepped it up during the week. The running joke became 'Veg and three veg for dinner tonight, darling'. We became vegetable eating machines. It was good for us. I lost a couple of kilos of baby weight, and my husband lost the last of the Paris pastry weight he bought home. All good.

This past summer the Gorillas went on holiday for three weeks. What a shock. We went straight back to our old habits (three aging apples in the fruit bowl and the same limp veg staring out from the crisper). I was shocked. I expected to have to spend to keep up with what we were used to. But I didn't. Without the knowledge that more would be arriving I couldn't motivate myself to cook and eat what we had. Ridiculous, no?

Nevermind, they're back and we are loving what it saves us, loving home delivery, and my baby loves all those mashed vegies and stewed fruit. Viva la Gorillas!

3 comments:

emzeegee & the hungry three said...

OMG TBW, *please* give me their number. The company we've used for the last year suddenly went out of business, leaving us fruit and veg less. We've been using our milkman's veg box, but it's nowhere near enough to get us by,

PLEASE share their number? Couldn't find it via Google (and therefore, it doesn't exist in my world.)

Em

amt said...

was that a golden gorilla crawling around on your kitchen floor? terrifying.

the baker's wife said...

emzee, I'm pretty sure that they only deliver opn the Peninsula, but give them a try-- 5977 4281.

am- it IS a golden gorilla. So close to walking now. Yes, it's terrifying.