Thursday, February 7, 2008

free food

I go on about how much I spend on food, but I have noticed we get a lot of food for free. This is saving us a packet.

-My mum makes me lunches to have when I drop MB off to be minded for the day.
-We regularly share the harvest from my parents garden.
-The baker brings me fresh bread daily as part of his keep.
-My boss gives me the weekend leftovers.
-We share the amazing, organic bounty of their garden, too.
-The maternal health nurse often gives out baby food samples, which we love.
-My Nana makes relish, and has a neighbour who shares his home grown corn and beans with us.
-My other babysitter 'replaces' the tea-bags she uses while minding MB with a box full.

Now that I'm making the most of everything, such gifts make a big difference. Not paying for two or three lunches, never buying bread and utilising the fresh produce that graces us saves a lot. I notice, because I'm not having to shop as much, and at the end of this week, there may even be some money left in the kitty!

It's not a new phenomenon. We have always shared and traded goodies with family, friends and acquaintances. Just now, it's really proving to be to our benefit.

In return, I try to be generous with what we have to share. Our vege patch is providing gorgeous heirloom tomatoes, lettuces, herbs, radishes and strawberries, with pumpkins and cucumbers on the way. I made jam and pate (livers, so cheap) and am sharing that with Mother's Group, my friends with new babies and the family members who will eat it. Extra bread is gifted to parents and my appreciative boss. Sharing the beautiful things you create is one of the joys of cooking. And really, it doesn't cost much, does it?

3 comments:

amt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amt said...

hari krishnas do free lunches at albert park every sunday.

I'm watching the 64 hour made-for-indian-television production of the mahabarata, which is riveting despite the challenges of a 2-7 second subtitle lag.

anyway the point is, krishna is my favourite (tell you what, if I was 1500 years younger...) . he's kind of like the patron saint of miscievious children, abundance, delight, music and BUTTER! it was his idea to not worry about worshipping the nasty old god indra and instead worship the cows that give us BUTTER! and the trees and rivers... a bit like st francis. happy go lucky hippy type with magical powers. so anyone who loves krishna loves food and wants to give it to you in abundance. there's a lead...

amt said...

also I know someone who has a mature age japanese student staying for a few months. sounds like a nice deal if you've got the space. you can specify who you want and you provide food. they pay something like $200 per week. that's a lot of rice.