Tuesday, March 11, 2008

free haircuts

Funny the things you forget about.

Many years ago, a friend and I spent the better part of a free day in Melbourne at the School of Hairdressing, getting a free haircut. I think we were 15 or 16.

I remember having my scalp combed until it was raw. I remember the fear and trepidation on the face of the trainee, almost closing her eyes with each snip of the scissors. Every slice had to be checked before and after. It took hours. My friend only wanted a fringe cut. By the time she was done her forehead was also red and raw, and we had been there two hours, to have two centimetres of hair cut off.

I was only reminded of this when my own hairdresser recently asked the baker if he would mind having his hair cut by a trainee. All supervised and monitored and she'd correct it at the end, of course. And free, of course. They just need the practice. How could he say no?

Two hours later, he came home, a little grazed on one ear and a bit patchy but happy enough. He'd had a bit of a laugh, having his head compulsively combed and re-combed. But he thought he'd probably go back.

There has been a gradual stepping down in hairdressing expenses in our house. I used to justify extraordinary costs, since I don't spend on other girly stuff like make-up or beauty treatments. The baker went from $15 cheap cuts to decent salon cuts. So my hair was about $70 or $90 or $150 a go and his was $60. About every six weeks.

This stopped when we went overseas and when we came back pregnant, the baker went back to cheap cuts and I didn't bother at all.

Then I heard about hairdressers who come to your house, and being house-bound and feeling shabby and post-partum, I went for the idea. But the bonus is that by coming to you, they charge heaps less. Our haircuts cost $55 for the two of us, and the baker didn't look like he'd been shorn by a blind shearer. Love it.

Now it's even better, with the baker's hair being cut for free. I'm back to not cutting mine, so another expense has been circumvented. Doesn't even feel like a sacrifice.

1 comment:

amt said...

I can recommend a hairdresser who lives near you by the name of helen taranto who, as I recall, held hair cutting days when she'd cut the hair of pretty much any kid hanging around with a fairly minimal rate of injury. she can do rat's tails and all sorts.