Monday, March 10, 2008

a leak and an ache

It always happens that when my bank account reaches a minimum threshold, my teeth start to ache. It's like they know that I can afford a root canal. I have ignored this ache for more than two years now, between going to London (saving and so not willing to spend on teeth), coming home pregnant (dentists not liking pregnant patients, me unwilling to spend the money again) and now. There are two sensitive spots, on opposing sides of my mouth, so I can't ignore it anymore. Chewing on either side is an issue, and I am a professional chewer.

Suffice to say, I'm not dropping the medical insurance extras until this episode is over. But eventually we will drop the extras.

Having some savings seems to also coincide with something going wrong with our cars. Yesterday I noticed that green liquid was leaking from the front of my hard-working but crappy little Astra. I'd love to ditch a car, but currently we seem to need two. You definitely know about expenses when you have lived with one car and then upsized to two. Lordy! It's about $3000 a year just to own, insure and maintain the thing.

So, tomorrow I have to make two phone calls that may set our savings plan back by months. It's disappointing and necessary. Just the kind of spending I hate.

No comments: